Welcome to the Xara Widget Guide for Designer Pro 7, Web Designer 7 and Web Designer Premium 7
This Widget Guide applies to Designer Pro 7, Web Designer 7 Premium and Web Designer 7 only. If you are using earlier versions of Xtreme, Xtreme Pro, Designer Pro, Photo & Graphic Designer or Web Designer, please select your version from the button bar above:
On this page we have some brief info on the new Widgets in V7, followed by a general introduction to adding widgets to a page within Web Designer or Designer Pro. Click the buttons at the top of this page and you'll
find information on specific types of widgets.
'Widgets' is a collective term used to describe a third party service which can be inserted into your web page (another popular
term for the same service is 'gadgets'). In V7 Widgets are now easier to use than ever before, allowing you to choose from hundreds of useful, fun, entertaining and informative widgets which you can add to your site by simply dragging them on to your web page within Web Designer or Designer Pro.
What's New in Designer Pro 7/Web Designer 7 Premium
- Would you like to use slick animated slideshows and dynamic photo effects on your web pages but don’t know how to do it? With Designer Pro and Web Designer Premium, it couldn’t be simpler and there’s no need for any coding knowledge. Just drag our smart new eye-catching and dynamic 'Eyecatcher' widgets onto your web pages, then customize with your own images and text.
Plus there's a neat new 'Embed a website' widget (in 'Other') - perfect for embedding blogs, microsites and other sites within your page.
- Google Checkout Store Gadget – it takes just minutes to create an online store based on a Google spreadsheet with this new widget. (Web Designer Premium only)
- Ecwid Product Browser - provides all you need for a one-stop online shop, including a built-in 'drag and drop' shopping cart, the recording of customer registration details, destination zone and shipping configuration, automatic tax adjustments for purchases from defined zones, and payment processing. (Web Designer Premium only)
Also new to Designer Pro 7/Web Designer 7 Premium and Web Designer 7
- Tweet Widget – display your latest Tweets in real-time so your website visitors won’t miss any updates.
- Facebook plugins – a huge choice of neat Facebook features that help Facebook users to stay connected and get the most from your website.
- YouTube video bar – choose search criteria for this dynamic group of YouTube videos which play on your web page and update constantly.
- A new collection of MAGIX widgets that make video, audio and photo editing a cinch.
How to use Widgetsin Designer Pro 7, Xara Web Designer 7 or Web Designer 7 Premium
It's a simple process to insert your favorite video from YouTube into your own web page, or display the latest news from Reuters or the BBC. Likewise, it's equally easy to insert a widget displaying your latest Facebook photos, or real-time updates from Twitter, add a shop from Amazon or Google and payment processing from PayPal, monitor eBay bids and sales, or embed a Google Map or a contact form.
The widgets can be found in six different categories in the 'Widgets, Forms and More' folder of the Designs Gallery.
1. Eyecatcher Widgets (Designer Pro and Web Designer Premium only) – including a wide range of animated slideshow, photo and text display widgets that you can simply drag on to your webpage. More widgets will be automatically downloaded and added to your gallery over time.
2. Form Widgets - ready-made and customizable forms including Google, JotForm, Wufoo and Widgetbox.
3. Ecommerce Widgets (Designer Pro and Web Designer Premium only) – including PayPal, eBay To Go, Amazon shopping cart and storefronts.
4. Media Widgets – including YouTube videos, Flickr and Picasa slideshows and web albums, and Flashwidgetz.
5. Social Networking Widgets – including Facebook badges, Twitter and AddThis widgets.
6. Other Widgets – a range of indispensible widgets ranging from Embed a website widget (Premium only), Google maps, news widgets from Reuters, BBC and the New York Times, search tools, event countdowns, clocks and a currency converter.
And you’re not just limited to the huge selection of widgets in the Designs Gallery – Designer Pro 7, Web Designer 7 and Web Designer 7 Premium support many more widget types available on the Internet – just copy the widget’s code and paste it on to your web page.
Note: Many widgets won’t work properly if they are used on pop-up layers or layers that appear with an animated transition effect. Some simple widgets will work fine in these circumstances, but many of the more complex widgets, like the Eyecatcher widgets, will not. Results will vary with different widgets and even with different browsers. Also note that Eyecatcher and Ecommerce widgets are only available with Designer Pro 7 and Web Designer Premium 7, which offer a greater selection of widgets than Web Designer 7.
How to insert a widget:
- Open the Designs Gallery by clicking it in the Galleries bar
- Double-click the Widgets, Forms and More folder.
- Find the widget category folder you want and double click to open it.
- Click on the widget and drag it to your Designer Pro 7, Web Designer 7 or Web Designer Premium 7 web page. One of two things happens:
To edit the widget double click the placeholder at any time in Designer Pro 7/Web Designer 7/Web Designer Premium 7. One of two things happens:
- For some widgets, such as selected Eyecatcher widgets, the program displays a placeholder on the page – just double click on the placeholder to start editing your widget. A new document opens. Make your changes in this new document then save and close it to return to the original widget document. Then you can preview your widget by clicking the Preview button in the toolbar.
- Other widgets display a Create New Widget window when you drag them on to a page. You can customize and preview your widget in this window. When you’re done, click Insert and the program displays a placeholder for the widget. Click the Preview button to see it in action.
- A second document opens, which you can edit, update and save your widget contents.
- You are returned to the widget provider’s website in the Create new widget window, where you can update your widget contents quickly and easily.
What’s more, it’s also easier than ever to update your widgets – just double-click the widget placeholder in Designer Pro 7, Web Designer or Web Designer Premium and you’re automatically returned to the original widget website. Here you can edit content, change display preferences and with just a few clicks re-insert an updated widget.
It’s that easy!