Welcome to the Xara Widget Guide for Web Designer 10 and Web Designer 10 Premium.
This Widget Guide applies to version 10 only. If you are using earlier versions Web Designer please select the following from the drop-down list at the top right of this Widget Guide:
On this page we have some brief info on the new widgets in version 10, followed by a general introduction to adding widgets to a page. Click the buttons at the top of this page and you'll find information on specific types of widgets.
'Widgets' is a collective term used to describe a third party service which can be inserted into your web page (another popular term for the same service is 'gadgets'). Widgets are now easier to use than ever before, allowing you to choose from hundreds of useful, fun, entertaining and informative widgets which you can add to your site by simply dragging them on to your web page within Web Designer or Designer Pro.
What's New in Version 10
- Pinterest, Instagram and LinkedIn badge Widgets in Social Networking: Bring more traffic to your site by interacting with these popular social networks
- Instagram SnapWidget in Social Networking: Embed your Instagram photos into your website as a photo gallery
- 3 new photo slideshow widgets in Photo Slideshows & Galleries (Web Designer Premium only): 3 exciting new ways to display your photos
Detailed instructions for these new Widgets will be added to this Widget Guide shortly, but you can find them all in your Designs Gallery now!
All the widgets in the Designs Gallery are located under Page Elements & Widgets and divided into the following folders:
Photo Slideshows - Page Elements & Widgets > Photo Elements & Widgets > Photo Slideshows & Galleries (widgets) - including a wide range of animated photo slideshow widgets. (Web Designer Premium only)
Content Slideshows - Page Elements & Widgets > Content Slideshows (widgets) - including a wide range of animated content slideshow widgets (Web Designer Premium only)
Charts - Page Elements & Widgets > Charts (widgets) - interactive charts and graphs for your website (Web Designer Premium only)
Forms - Page Elements & Widgets > Forms (widgets) - ready-made and customizable forms including FormLogix, JotForm, Wufoo and Widgetbox.
E-commerce - Page Elements & Widgets > E-commerce (widgets) - including PayPal, eBay To Go, Amazon shopping cart and storefronts. (Web Designer Premium only)
Audio / Video - Page Elements & Widgets > Audio / Video (widgets) including YouTube videos, Flickr and Picasa slideshows and web albums
Social Networking - > Social Networking (widgets) - including Facebook badges, Google +, Twitter and AddThis widgets.
Other Widgets - Page Elements & Widgets > Other Widgets - a range of indispensible widgets ranging from Embed a website widget, QR Code widget, Google maps, news widgets from Reuters, BBC and the New York Times, search tools, event countdowns, clocks and a currency converter. Additionally Premium has a table and Google AdSense Widgets.
And you're not just limited to the huge selection of widgets in the Designs Gallery - we support many more widget types available on the Internet just copy the widget's code and paste it on to your web page.
Note: Many widgets won't work properly if they are used on pop-up layers or layers that appear with an animated transition effect. Some simple widgets will work fine in these circumstances, but many of the more complex widgets, like the slideshow widgets, will not. Results will vary with different widgets and even with different browsers.
How to Use Widgets in Xara Web Designer 10 or Web Designer 10 Premium:
It's a simple process to insert your favorite video from YouTube into your own web page, or display the latest news from Reuters or the BBC. Likewise, it's equally easy to insert a slideshow widget that displays an animated transition between each photo or a pie chart widget.
How to insert a widget:
- Open the Designs Gallery by clicking it in the Galleries bar.
- Click the Page Elements & Widgets folder.
- Find the widget category folder you want and click to open it.
- Click on the widget and drag it to your web page. One of two things happens:
- For some widgets, such as the slideshow widgets, the program displays a placeholder on the page just double click on the placeholder to start editing your widget. A new document opens. Make your changes in this new document then save and close it to return to the original widget document. Then you can preview your widget by clicking the Preview button in the toolbar.
- Other widgets display a Create New Widget window when you drag them on to a page. You can customize and preview your widget in this window. When you're done, click Insert and the program displays a placeholder for the widget. Click the Preview button to see it in action.
To edit the widget double-click the widget placeholder at any time from within the program. Alternatively, single click on the widget to open the link dialog box and then click Edit. One of two things happens.
- A second document opens, which you can edit, update and save your widget contents.
- You are returned to the widget provider's website in the Create New Widget window, where you can update your widget contents quickly and easily.
To resize a widget, click on it to display its selection handles. Click and hold down your left mouse button on one of the selection handles and drag to resize the widget as required.
The widget preview will automatically regenerate displaying the resized widget.
Note: not all widgets are resizeable.
It's that easy!